Breaking News

Text size: Normal Text Size Large Text Size
May 05, 2013

Do you want guns in your workplace?

Do you have a gun control policy at your tire dealership? If you don't, perhaps you should think about it.

That is what Modern Tire Dealer Editor Bob Ulrich talks about in his latest blog, "Gun control: a hot and heated topic."

It may not be easy to talk about gun control with another human being, but your employees and customers need to know whether or not they can bring a gun onto the premises.

So whether you are a proponent or opponent of the Second Amendment ("the right of the people to keep and bear arms"), check out the blog. And to learn more about what you need to think about when crafting such a policy, check out this link, too:

"Policy control: Do you allow employees to bring guns to work?"

Do you have a gun control policy? Let us know what you think about the subject by leaving a comment!

Share this:  Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

comments

1. Carl | May 06, 2013 at 10:03AM
    I believe businesses should have anonymous, vetted, volunteer employees who are capable of armed defense in times of needed defense. This select group of employees, known only to a few members of senior executives, would be able to respond in times of severe violent crisis to provide critical moments or an extension of time to save lives and provide additional time for law enforcement to properly respond. These people could potentially save countless lives by tying up and bogging down a lethal armed invader. I believe this select person(s) should be chosen primarily from prior law enforcement officers and military personnel. I believe strongly in this idea.

2. Rusty | May 06, 2013 at 10:06AM
    We carry guns at our tire store, we want our customers and employees to feel safe. We want to make sure we protect them from a lunatic if we ever had too.

3. Justin | May 06, 2013 at 10:19AM
    Safe? I guess it just depends on who the lunatic is...how many times have we heard "he was the nicest guy, no one would have ever thought he would do such a thing," when a guy snaps and takes out a coworker or some random person. There is no place for guns in nearly any workplace.

4. mike | May 06, 2013 at 10:28AM
    You feel "safe" becasue you allow guns in your store. I just don't get it!

5. Randal | May 06, 2013 at 10:38AM
    So do we. It's a constitutional right, not a matter of whether or not the owner agrees.

6. Preston | May 06, 2013 at 11:32AM
    My shop is in California so only myself and a manager can carry during business hours in the store. As you may know no California law trumps any and all constitutional laws. So there it is...

7. mark | May 06, 2013 at 11:39AM
    we allow guns at our shop as long as they have a Concealed Carry Permit

8. MICHAEL | May 06, 2013 at 11:43AM
    I AGREE!WE DON'T ALWAYS HAVE GUNS AT WORK,BUT ALOT OF CUSTOMERS SHOW UP WITH THEM.FR4OM HUNTERS TO CONCIELED WEAPON PERMITS TO RANCHERS ETC.OUR OPINION IS LET THE CRIMINALS WONDER WHAT WE HAVE.

9. Fred | May 06, 2013 at 02:25PM
    Yes we have guns And any employee that has a permitt is allowed to carry consealed. I have been here 27 years and have never had a problem

10. Robert | May 06, 2013 at 05:49PM
    People against guns just don't get it, Doesn't anybody realize that people that carry are only carrying for self defense. I guess anybody could go wacko and shoot some coworker but what are the chances? Doesn't anyone think that if we had more people carrying a concealed weapon a potential shooter may have second thoughts and if he doesn't sorry about his luck!! What if Sandy Hook and Columbine schools would of had armed staff what do you think the outcome would have been? What about the tire store guys that were shot and killed by a customer concealed carry might have prevented that incident! By all means carry!!

11. MASTERMECH48 | May 06, 2013 at 06:08PM
    As a retired Navy combat veteran as long as you have a cc permit, carry at will. No carry permit, use alternative legal means but, have it handy for safety. I have no problems with responsible people having a weapon of any sort ready.

12. Doug | May 07, 2013 at 01:09AM
    A "NO GUNS" policy is ridiculous. Only the honest, law-abiding citizen will comply. The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

13. TERRY | May 07, 2013 at 04:19AM
    GUNS DONT MEAN A DAMN THING ITS ALL THE MORONS AND CRAZIES MENTAL HEALTH

HAS PUT IN SOCIETY AND WE HAVE MORE THAN OUR SHARE. THANK YOU

14. ricky | May 07, 2013 at 05:04AM
    Yes we keep guns where they are very accessible but not where they are easy found.. Only my partner and I knows there location..

My employees and a few of my customers knows that we keep guns that are loaded but none of them knows there location.

15. john | May 08, 2013 at 05:58AM
    Guns should be allowed,if the guns are aquired leagally. Pass foid and firearms training.

16. Jon | May 08, 2013 at 09:40AM
    Our second ammendment rights shall not be infringed upon. As long as the employee has a concealed carry permit, it should be allowed. Check out the new Versacarry zero bulk holsters @www.versacarry.com. American made and very concealable.

17. guy | May 08, 2013 at 10:17AM
    I'm pleased to see so many positive and reasonable responses, please remember to contact your senators and legislators to let them know how you feel, as Americans and United states citizens, UNITED WE STAND - DIVIDED well you know the the rest.

18. Kevin | May 08, 2013 at 10:20AM
    Never leave home without it!!

19. Ron | May 09, 2013 at 09:12AM
    Your dealership has a no gun policy and is in a less than great area of town. You walk out of your place of business at 10:30 at night and a person is standing there who has ZERO regard for gun laws, including the impact of the laws on the gun in his hand. What do you do? Though there are many examples of bad judgement in the news, I depend on my employees to constantly exercise good judgement as SOP. Otherwise, I would replace them with a kiosk...and insure the kiosk for gunshot damage.

20. Greg | May 09, 2013 at 01:24PM
    17 Pro Gun Cooments, 2 anti gun. I would say this is a proper reflection of our society. I believe that an individual who has taken the time and expense to be armed would be a plus to any organization. Law enforcement is there to prosecute not protect. I would be willing that the two nays would change their mind if it was themselves or their family who was threatened. You have a better chance of being struck by lightning than being a victim of a mass shooting according to the book "Control". I think everyone should take the time to learn the facts for themselves and stand by the Second ammendmant.

21. Margo | May 10, 2013 at 03:48PM
    At our tire dealership, there are 3 employees with CHL's. Considering that we are located in a rural area, we have many farmers and ranchers who routinely carry, and it is not up to me to quiz them about whether or not they have a CHL. Most of them are responsible citizens who contribute a great deal to society, therefore I am perfectly comfortable with them carrying a gun. I do not intend to be a victim of some random act of crime. Around here, we support the Second Amendment of the Constitution.