February 05, 2014
Yokohama introduces two radial OTR tires
The RL45 is one of two new OTR radial tires.
Yokohama Tire Corp. will introduce the RL45 and RL51 OTR radial tires at the ConExpo trade show March 4-8 in Las Vegas, Nev.
“The new RL45 and RL51 spotlight our latest technology in OTR radial tire tread design,” says Tim Easter, Yokohama director, OTR sales. “Among the many benefits, the new treads are more durable and last longer.”
The RL45 E-4 is made for articulated dump trucks and scrapers and the L-4 version is for front-end loaders. “It’s the toughest radial for the most demanding applications,” says Easter.
“Many manufacturers combine the L-4 and E-4 into a single application, but Yokohama built a tire for each, so there is no compromise for either application.”
The RL45 is available in size 26.5R25. Other highlights include:
* Aavanced tread composition that provides improved wear, low-heat generation and cut-resistance while the zigzag-shaped groove provides better traction on rock and gravel surfaces;
* a non-directional block pattern provides abrasion- and cut-resistance on stone and gravel surfaces.
* high turn-up carcass construction that protects against exterior damage with greater lateral stiffness for better riding comfort and additional defense against sidewall cuts;
* buttress side protection helps against outside damage, resulting in fewer sidewall snags and cuts; and
* flexible OTR belt wire that creates a tough, multi-layer cross-ply steel belt package to improve durability and high-shore hardness rubber bead filler that offers strong twist stiffness for longer life.
“More lug means less void,” said Easter. “The angle of the lug is unique, which provides longer wear and more stability.”
The RL51 L-5 application is designed for front-end loaders and graders. “This is a resilient radial for high-cut uses,” says Easter. “It has incredible traction and stability. It will not sway under load thanks to the advanced belt package.”
Available in size 23.5R25, the RL51 also features:
* high-tech tread compound that provides better wear- and cut-resistance;
* non-directional block pattern that offers traction and stability – same performance in forward and reverse – as well as abrasion- and cut-resistance on rock and gravel surfaces;
* high turn-up carcass construction that protects against exterior damage with greater lateral stiffness for better riding comfort, as well as added defense against sidewall cuts;
* buttress side protection that offers prevention against outside damage for fewer sidewall snags and cuts with thicker rubber on the upper sidewall and shoulder; and
* improved durability is heightened because of the advanced, multi-layered cross-ply steel belt package and rubber bead filler that provides strong twist stiffness for longer life.
Also on display at ConExpo will be the RT41 E-4 with a new CPUG (cut protective underground) tread compound for articulated dump trucks and scrapers.
“The CPUG compound was specially developed for underground usage. It helps increase the life of the tire and offers protection from cuts, punctures and wear,” says Easter.
The RT41 CPUG is constructed with four steel belts to resist punctures and add stability, and features buttress side protection, which prevents sidewall damage. It is available in three sizes: 23.5R25, 26.5R25 and 29.5R25.
Yokohama Tire Corp. is the North American manufacturing and marketing arm of Tokyo, Japan-based Yokohama Rubber Co. For more information on Yokohama’s extensive product line, visit www.yokohamatire.com.