April 01, 2014
Hankook earns sixth fitment with BMW
A new high-styrene polymer enhances the Hankook Ventus S1 evo2’s wet braking performance.
The Hankook Ventus S1 evo2 has been selected as original equipment on the new BMW 4-Series. Hankook Tire Co. Ltd. will supply the tires in size 225/50WR17.
The recently launched 4-Series Coupe is the sixth model by the BMW Group to be fitted with Hankook tires. The others are the Mini, the BMW 1-, 3- and 5-Series, and the X5.
"Supplying tires to the new 4-Series Coupe marks yet another, important milestone for us, as it is the first time we are supplying tires to the BMW Group that not only have been developed in Europe but also are supplied directly from our European plant," says Seung Hwa Suh, vice chairman and CEO.
“During the intensive trial phase, our Ventus S1 evo2 has once more given impressive proof of its high level of driving comfort and distinctively dynamic driving characteristics,” says Klaus Krause, head of Hankook's European Technology Center (ETC) in Hanover, Germany, where the tire development of the BMW Group in Europe takes place.
“With the new Ventus S1 evo2, we have consistently applied our development philosophy Kontrol Technology, and developed a modern high performance tire that optimally meets our customers’ requirements in terms of driving dynamics, safety and environmental friendliness.”
At present, about 50 engineers and technicians are developing bespoke tire solutions for European car manufacturers at the ETC. Also, tires supplied to the BMW Group are developed and tested there. Production takes place at Hankook’s European plant in Rácalmás, Hungary.
The Hankook Ventus S1 evo2 is Hankook's flagship line. It features the following:
1. a DTM-derived tire contour with Multi Tread Radius for equal ground contact pressure achieved through an "ideal" tire footprint. The application of ultra-light yet highly durable steel cord material for steel belt package leads to significant weight reduction.
2. a DTM-inspired triple-layer block design for superior traction.
3. latest generation mixing technologies and a new tread compound for reduced rolling resistance, dynamic handling characteristics and improved wet braking performance.
4. an advanced cooling system with intercoolers for improved heat regulation.
5. a VAI (Vehicle Alignment Indicator) Siping System that provides drivers an easy and convenient way to check the vehicles alignment themselves by comparing wear on the sipes of both of the tire’s shoulders and realign as necessary.
The high-end tire is available in 55 sizes ranging from 16 to 19 inches with aspect ratios of 60 to 30.
For more information on Hankook and its tires, visit www.hankooktire.com.
Sign up for our Enews and receive the latest news, trends, and product information right in your e-mail inbox.