June 03, 2014
RMA: Inflate for National Tire Safety Week
The Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) is sponsoring National Tire Safety Week, June 1-7, 2014, to focus efforts to educate U.S. drivers about the need for regular tire maintenance.
Tire dealers can educate consumers about how under-inflated tires waste gasoline, increase the risk of tire damage and cause premature tire wear.
RMA says a tire industry survey reveals that nearly seven out of 10 vehicles are riding on under-inflated tires, and nearly one in five vehicles has at least one significantly under-inflated tire.
“Too many motorists continue to ignore the only equipment on their vehicles that touch the road,” said Dan Zielinski, RMA senior vice president, public affairs.
“It takes just five minutes to check and properly inflate tires to optimize vehicle fuel economy and reduce the risk of tire problems.”
The 2014 tire pressure survey key findings include:
- 9% of vehicles had four properly inflated tires;
- 69% of vehicles had at least one under-inflated tire;
- 18% of vehicles had at least one tire under-inflated by 8 pounds per square inch (PSI);
- Previous RMA research revealed how little motorists understand about basic tire care;
- five out of six motorists do not properly check tire pressure;
- two out of three motorists do not check the spare tire; and
- half of all motorists do not know how tell if a tire is bald.
RMA’s national education program is called “Be Tire Smart – Play Your PART.” PART stands for pressure, alignment, rotation and tread, the four critical elements of tire care.
For more information visit www.rma.org.
Receive the latest MTD eNews in your inbox!
Sign up for our Enews and receive the latest news, trends, and product information right in your e-mail inbox. Join Today!
View the latest eNews:
| Thursday Edition
| CTD Online
| Auto Service