The 87th Geneva International Motor Show is underway, and Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. is among the tire companies in Switzerland showing off its concept tires.
Amidst the evolution of vehicle technology, Goodyear says it "aims to revolutionize the interaction between tires, vehicles and their surroundings." It's offering two new concept tires — the spherical-shaped Eagle 360 Urban and the IntelliGrip Urban smart tire.
“The future of the automotive industry is being shaped by rapid advances in technology and changing consumer attitudes and behaviors,” says Joe Zekoski, Goodyear’s senior vice president and chief technical officer. “The concepts and technology we are showcasing in Geneva are part of the revolution that we see unfolding at the intersection of autonomy, mobility and connectivity where tires and services will play a critical role in meeting our customers’ performance and information needs.”
Zekoski says these concept tires represent an essential aspect of Goodyear’s innovation strategy and customer focus in the new mobility ecosystem.
Goodyear Eagle 360 Urban
The Eagle 360 Urban isn't Goodyear's first spherical tire. That distinction belongs to the Eagle 360, unveiled in 2016. But the Eagle 360 Urban is an evolution of that 2016 design concept for autonomous vehicles, further integrating the tire into the vehicle’s nervous system by giving the concept an artificial intelligence ‘brain’ that allows it to sense, decide, transform and interact.
Key features of the newest creation include:
- V2X communications connectivity to gather and share real-time information about driving conditions from the tires, other vehicles, infrastructure and traffic systems for a complete picture;
- artificial intelligence to process the data through deep learning algorithms and improve braking, handling and efficiency; and,
- a bionic skin made of a super-elastic polymer with high-sensory capacity and the flexibility to adapt its tread pattern to driving conditions with the help of actuators beneath the surface.
See the Eagle 360 Urban here:
Goodyear IntelliGrip Urban
The IntelliGrip Urban is a smart tire concept designed for autonomous, on-demand transportation, with a focus on maximizing uptime and reducing operating costs for ride-sharing service providers.
Key features include:
- Sensor-in-tire technology to gather and share information about road and weather conditions with the vehicle control system to optimize speed, braking, handling and stability;
- proactive maintenance through telematics and tire health monitoring to maximize uptime by allowing fleet operators to precisely identify and resolve tire-related issues safely before they happen; and,
- a fuel efficient tall and narrow design that reduces rolling resistance and extends range for electric vehicles, as well as fewer tread grooves to reduce noise levels and offer a more comfortable ride and longer tread life.
See the IntelliGrip Urban here: