Accuride wheels aim to reduce flange wear
Accuride Corp. has introduced aluminum wheels with a specially treated rim designed to reduce the rim flange wear seen in heavy-haul, shifting-load and frequent stop-start applications.
The company says its new Accu-Flange wheels feature a special protective treatment applied to the surfaces of the wheel flange most prone to wear. The treatment bonds to the aluminum substrate, forming a tough barrier that reduces abrasion between the tire wall and wheel rim.
As a result, Accu-Flange extends wheel service life for fleets that carry heavy loads and loads that are prone to shifting, such as lumber, metals, gravel, liquids and even passengers. It also is ideal for fleets that make frequent stops and starts, such as transit or refuse applications, and for use in gritty operating environments that accelerate flange wear.
"Our new Accu-Flange wheels feature a tough protective coating that reduces flange wear and extends service life for miles and miles,” says Accuride CEO and President Rick Dauch.
The company says the product is relevant for the following applications:
* mining - mainly off-road, with heavy loads and excessive flange wear due to a gritty, abrasive operating environment with vehicles in service for extended periods;
* logging - on- and off-road, mixed-use applications with high centers of gravity for heavy loads that are prone to shifting;
* tanker - on-road, with higher center of gravity and shifting liquid cargo that can lead to excessive flange wear;
* refuse/dump truck - mainly on-road applications with a medium degree of flange wear due to shifting loads, stop-start conditions and abrasive operating environments; and
* transit - on-road, with higher center of gravity and shifting loads caused by motion of passengers; vehicles typically in service for 10-12 years.
Accuride says it is making Accu-Flange available for many of its popular aluminum wheels. These range from its 19.5 x 7.5-inch 40160 to the 24.5 x 8.25-inch 40550 models, which have maximum loads per wheel of 6,700 lbs. and 12,800 lbs., respectively.
For more information, visit www.AccurideWheelEndSolutions.com.