Nexen Goes Off-Road With the Roadian MTX Tire
Nexen Tire America Inc. is entering another segment of the off-road tire market, and will debut the Roadian MTX at the 2017 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show.
In an effort to distinguish the Roadian MTX — which stands for mud terrain Xtreme — Nexen developed the tire with reversible sidewalls. One side is designed to be more aggressive with sidewall traction, and the other offers a more traditional look.
Nexen says the tire is designed to perform well in mud and for rock climbing, while remaining practical with optimized silent performance on highway terrain. Nexen says it is testing the tires under real-world conditions in Southern California, from the mountains to the desert to the I-405 freeway.
Here's a roundup of the tire's key features:
- distinctively designed dual sidewalls, known as the 'beast' and 'machine' designs. They give the customer the option to choose the look that best represents their lifestyle and vehicle;
- three-ply sidewall protection for better stability and durability when hauling heavy loads and dealing with harsh off-road terrain;
- burly lugs for maximum grip, aggressive traction and control;
- patented, optimized block positions to reduce tire noise when transitioning from mud trails to asphalt streets;
- F Load capacity on all flotation sizes and maximum air pressure of 80 PSI for increased towing capacity, higher load capacity and functioning TPMS sensors;
- a reinforced rubber belt that delivers load-bearing durability over a range of applications; and
- a rim protector bar on sizes 20-inches and up to keep wheels safe from curb-rub or rock abrasion.
“Off-road enthusiasts make up the largest growing segment in the auto industry," says Kyle Roberts, senior director of marketing at Nexen Tire North America. "Rather than throw a tire out there in the market to fend for itself, we decided to engineer a tire that provides customers with options for customization. Whether you want your Jeep or Bronco to be aggressive or simply want your truck to have a pronounced look, one thing remains a constant — the new Roadian MTX will out-perform the competition.”
The Roadian MTX tire will be available for order in November 2017 for sizes 16 inches to 20 inches. Flotation sizes ranging from 33 inches to 37 inches will be available in summer 2018.
The 35/12.5 R20 Roadian MTX tire will be on display at the SEMA Show in Nexen's Booth, No. 61012 in the Outdoor Silver Lot 2. from Oct. 31 through Nov. 3.