Yokohama keeps on truckin’ with new truck tires
Yokohama Tire Corp. is spotlighting two new tires at the Mid-America Trucking Show (MATS) March 31-April 2 in Louisville, Ky. The new tires are the RY407 wide base single trailer tire and the prototype 702 drive tire.
Now in production and available in a limited quantity, the RY407 has been named a SmartWay tire by the EPA, meaning it is recognized as a low rolling resistance tire. The RY407 super single, size 445/50R22.5, offers excellent fuel efficiency as well as a weight savings potential for fleets, says Yokohama.
“There’s less weight because there’s one tire and wheel assembly instead of two,” says Rick Phillips, Yokohama’s director of commercial sales. “And because of its unique design and construction we expect the RY407 to be a very durable and retreadable product.”
Highlights of the ultra-wide tread RY407 are:
* Better durability and less casing fatigue thanks to an advanced profile.
* New, high-tech compounds for improved fuel efficiency.
* A zero-degree mid-belt that distributes the load evenly, lessens running distortion and has a more consistent footprint.
* Straight grooves for enhanced wet traction and cross sipes for wear resistance.
A preview version of the RY407 was on display last year at MATS. This year the company will preview the 702 drive tire.
“MATS attendees definitely need to come by the booth to see the prototype 702, which utilizes Yokohama’s renowned Zenvironment technology,” says Phillips. “It’s going to be the most fuel efficient drive tire on the market. The 702 will be available in the U.S. in early 2012 in 295/75R22.5 and 11R22.5. It has a very sleek appearance and is totally unique. It looks more like a brawny steer tire than a drive tire.”
Highlights of the 702 are:
* Low rolling resistance and superior fuel economy, thanks to the new compound using Zenvironment technology.
* Unique drive tire tread design.
* Solid shoulder rib and serpentine grooves for extra rigidity and stability.
* Yokohama’s patented Stress Control Groove that redistributes the shoulder load to prevent step down wear.
* Z Block design to improve wet traction and lower rolling resistance.
For more information on the 2011 MATS, click here.