Government supports Toyo recall notice
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has issued a recall notice through its Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) for "certain Toyo (and Nitto) brand tires."
Toyo Tire Holdings of Americas Inc. had previously announced the voluntary recall on Friday, Feb. 11 (see "Toyo recalls 4,891 Toyo and Nitto tires"). The tires in question are:
* Toyo Versado CUV P245/55 R19 103T, P235/55Rr20 102T, 235/55 R18 100V and P255/65R18 109S;
* Toyo Versado LX II 215/60Rr16 95V;
* Toyo Open Country All Terrain LT285/70 R17 121S;
* Toyo Tourevo LS II 245/45R18 96V; and
* Nitto Terra Grappler All Terrain 255/55R18 109S.
The tires were produced from Sept. 19, 2010, through Oct. 2, 2010.
According to the ODI and Toyo, the tires are being recalled because the rubber chemical mixture used in some of the recalled tires does not meet Toyo's specifications.
Toyo will notify owners and replace the tires free of charge; that includes mounting and balancing fees and taxes. The safety recall is expected to begin on or about Feb. 18, 2011.
Owners may contact Toyo toll-free at (800) 442-8696 (6:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST) or Nitto Tire U.S.A. Inc. at (888) 529-8200 (8 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST).
For more information on the recall, click NHTSA Campaign ID Number 11T001.