RMA: replacement passenger tire shipments are up 2.8%
Replacement and original equipment passenger tire shipments in the United States are up 2.8% through the first four months of the year, according to the Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA).
In its April tire report, the RMA estimates 79.5 million replacement P-metric tires were shipped domestically, compared to 77.3 million over the same period last year. Replacement shipments are up 5.7%, while OE shipments are down 7.1%.
The RMA predicts a modest 1.4% year-to-year increase in the replacement passenger tire market (to 199 million units) and a 2% decrease in the OE market (to 47.3 million units).
Here are the RMA's estimated shipment totals through the first four months.
* Passenger tires, replacement: 63.6 million (up 5.7%).
* Passenger tires, OE: 15.8 million (down 7.1%).
* Light truck tires, replacement: 10.5 million (down 1.7%).
* Light truck tires, OE: 1.58 million (down 16.8%).
* Medium/heavy truck tires, replacement: 4.8 million (down 9.5%).
* Medium/heavy truck tires, OE: 1.8 million (down 20.3%).
(Service trailer tires are not included in light truck tire shipments.)