TireBuyer.com survey reveals buying preferences
According to a national survey conducted by TireBuyer.com, many women don't know when it's time to buy new tires or what they need to know to buy the right ones for their cars.
Survey data revealed the following:
* 50% of women rely on their spouses to tell them it's time to buy new tires.
* nearly 40% of women let someone else buy their tires for them.
* 21% of men admit they don't know as much as they think they should about buying tires.
Some women are intimidated by the process, or are afraid they'll be sold something they don't need or pay too much, according to says Lauren Fix, the "Car Coach," a nationally recognized automotive expert who travels the country talking to people about their cars.
Fix is a spokeswoman for TireBuyer.com, a new Web site launched by American Tire Distributors Inc. on Sept. 30, 2009. The site, which is PCI (Payment Credit Industry) compliant, is structured to give consumers the information they need to make purchases, plus the ability to buy immediately, all fees included.
it also gives them the ability to choose the local dealership at which they want their tires and/or wheels installed.
The economy is having an effect on tire buying, according to the survey. Eleven percent of women and 18% of men are doing more than they did before to ensure their car and tires remain in the best condition. On the other hand, 21% of women and 17% of men are deferring maintenance on their cars and tires because of the economy.
"If you want to keep your car longer than usual because of the economy, then the best investment you can make is regular maintenance and buying new tires when you need them," says Fix.
The survey found that buying tires online appealed to people because they could:
* see the prices online before they buy;
* see the selection that would fit their cars;
* have tires shipped free to a certified dealer of their choice;
* pick the tires they want instead of relying on someone else; and * pay for the tires and installation online.
For more information, visit TireBuyer.com.