Dealers get to see five new Kumho truck tires
Tire dealers are not only going to see more Kumho radial truck tires in the United States this year, but also five new Kumho truck tires.
Since its new Chinese radial truck and bus tire plant came on-line in December 2008, Kumho Tire U.S.A. Inc. has had access to more truck tires. The brand represents 1.5% of the U.S. market, according to the 2009 Modern Tire Dealer Facts Issue.
The five new premium tires, introduced at the Kumho dealer meeting in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, include a drive, steer and trailer tire; an on/off highway steer and trailer tire; and a wide-base tire.
1. KLS02. The linehaul steer tire has a five-rib, dual tread radius design with decoupler grooves. It is designed to resist irregular wear.
Available in four sizes (11R22.5, 11R24.5, 295/75R22.5 and 285/75R24.5), the KLS02 has a 19/32nds-inch tread depth. It will replace the KLS01.
2. KLD02. The extra-deep drive tire is designed for linehaul and regional applications. It features a rib and lug design with a 30/32nds-inch tread depth; aggressive center-rib " three features buttons" for traction; and Kumho's ICOS (Integrated Compound Optimization System) technology, which promotes casing durability for retreading.
The KLD02 is available in the four most popular truck tire sizes. It will be sold in addition to the KLD01, which will be reintroduced as a more fuel-efficient option for the drive position.
3. KRT03. Kumho's new all-position trailer also features ICOS technology, and has a high rubber-to-void ratio. It is available in size 11R22.5.
4. KMA01. The premium on/off highway steer or trailer tire features a four-rib, closed shoulder design and cut-and-chip resistant compounding. Kumho says the tire's "advanced belt package" enhances casing integrity and uniformity for higher removal mileage and retread quailty.
It is available in five sizes: 11R22.5, 11R24.5, 12R22.5, 225/70R19.5 and 315/80R22.5.
5. KMA02. The wide-base tire features stone ejectors in the center groove, and tie-bars between the tread blocks. It is available in three sizes: 385/65R22.5, 425/65R22.5, and 445/65R22.5.
Kumho warrants its radial truck tire casings up to the second retread.