Michelin X InCity Grip D Tire Is Ready for Winter Bus Routes
Michelin North America Inc. is targeting markets with harsh winter weather conditions with its newest bus tire: the Michelin X InCity Grip D.
Made for bus fleets operating in the Northeast, Northwest, upper-Midwest and Canada, Michelin says the X InCity Grip D premium drive tire gives fleets protection in urban environments so they can continue to operate throughout winter.
“The all-new Michelin X InCity Grip D urban drive tire is designed to keep buses moving with confidence in winter conditions,” says Mike Tolman, product category manager of Michelin's urban mobility business line. “Tires that move buses for transit authorities need to be cost-efficient, safe and keep buses moving to remain on time and reliable, even during harsh weather conditions. But this can be a challenge for the transit equipment managers. We want this tire offer to be the No. 1 choice of transit authorities requiring a new drive tire for their applications.”
Michelin says the tire offers three big benefits to those bus fleets:
- it's robust and dependable;
- it provides operators with confidence in all-weather conditions; and
- it offers long even wear for low-cost per mile operation.
The company says the Michelin X InCity Grip D tire includes these features:
- extra thick sidewalls to protect against shocks, impacts and curb scrub in tough urban conditions;
- sidewall wear indicators that promote regular tire rotations for long casing life, as well as enhanced retreadability;
- a full-width, elastic protector ply for improved casing protection and casing-fatigue resistance;
- an extended metallic chafer ply which dissipates heat in the bead area to improve bead durability;
- matrix sipes provide inter-locking action for traction and even wear;
- zig-zag groove walls provide biting edges and water and snow evacuation to aid handling and stability; and
- full-depth sipes provide excellent traction throughout the life of the tread.
The Michelin X InCity Grip D tire incorporates application-specific compounds, a unique tread design and wide open-shoulder grooves for extended tread life. Long, even wear helps fleets capitalize on miles and reduce cost per mile.
The tire is available in the U.S. and Canada in a 305/70R22.5 size and load range J. The tire meets the Buy America requirements for federal and state transit administration needs.