The year 2021 is drawing to a close. For independent tire dealers across the country, it has largely been a profitable - but difficult - year. With just a few weeks remaining, it’s time to take stock of the last 12 months and start looking at the next 12 months.
With the proliferation of tiers of tire brands, you are likely to survive those instances in which your preferred brands are not available. Automotive parts and lubricants, on the other hand, are another story.
The delta variant is the dominant strain across most of the United States, and it’s hitting stores very differently than the first wave. Dennis McCarron has a reminder: You need to remain vigilant and do what you must to continue to protect both your employees and your business’ bottom line.
Once your team arrives, your doors are unlocked and customers start streaming into your showroom, the service manager becomes the most critical aspect of a well-run store. Are you giving your service managers the tools and support they need?
Imagine running a tire dealership and not knowing what is in stock or what sales have been for the month - tirelessly writing up invoices as customers come in and hoping that at the end of the day you’ve made some profit. Sounds ridiculous, right?
There are many types of independent tire dealerships throughout North America and all of these types can be pretty interesting when they are owned by the same person — a multi-store operator (MSO.) Here are several things MSOs can do to improve their business.
A few years ago, I wrote about an impending “wage war.” The primary driver at the time was a shrinking talent pool at the beginning of the pipeline and an aging skilled workforce. (At the time, the average age of a master certified technician was 55.) When you combine those two factors, it creates a wage imbalance.
If you get 30 tire dealers in a room and bring up point-of-sale (POS) systems, prepare for 45 different opinions and a very long, passionate conversation. This month’s column is not going to endorse any particular POS system. Instead, it will help you learn to drive your POS system like the race car that it is and understand what role it plays at your dealership.
Anyone who has worked in the tire and automotive repair business for even a week will be familiar with metrics - important financial and operational milestones or ratios used to evaluate how efficiently and profitably a store is run.
It is safe to say that 2020 was a stressful year. Nearly every facet of your business was pushed to the limit, and while 2021 seems to be shaping up as an improvement over last year, the first half is not without its challenges. In this MTD exclusive, Dennis McCarron explains why finding a stress relief valve for your employees is critical.
I know you’ve heard me grumble about technicians performing poor, improper vehicle inspections - or even skipping the entire inspection process - before. Performing thorough inspections can grow your revenue and when done right, will make customers happy.
First, let me take a moment to congratulate every hard-working mechanic, general service tech, tire tech, alignment specialist, sales advisor, store manager, service manager, owner and anyone whose title I didn’t mention who made it to the last few months of 2020.
This column is about consumer finance options. And it may ruffle some feathers. I think that offering options to consumers so they can make the best decision for their vehicle, their budget and their situation is great. What I see as a massive opportunity for our industry is in how we offer that option.
Some days, it may seem like you were busier than all get-out, but you didn’t make any money. Other days seemed slow, but you were stunned at how much cash you generated. Sometimes the retail world doesn’t make any sense, does it?
The repair wasn’t done right.” Ever hear this from a customer? About 75% of the time, this statement results in the dreaded service “comeback.” That leaves 25% of your customer base that doesn’t even give you a chance to even make things right.
Modern Tire Dealer columnist Dennis McCarron has some practical tips for dealing with the vampires that rob us of time. One example is the “buddy system” for taking care of “drop-in vampires,” i.e., vendors who show up unannounced.
Most independent tire dealers get into the tire and automotive service business because they enjoy fixing vehicles or selling things. Many probably started working for a larger chain or their father/mother/grandparents and got pretty good at fixing and selling, so they thought, “I’d like to be my own boss doing this.” And they scraped together enough cash, took on enormous debt, and hung their shingle outside.
If you are frustrated with your customer’s price focus or “always wanting a deal” type of mentality, Modern Tire Dealer columnist Dennis McCarron has some shocking news for you: Your prices are too low.