Kenda USA couldn't wait for the start of the 2017 SEMA Show to introduce its latest consumer products. So it held a ride-and-drive in Las Vegas one day prior to the start of the show, with independent tire dealers traveling from as far as Colombia, South America and Alaska to attend.
Both new tires, the Vezda Touring A/S KR205 and the Klever R/T KR601, were developed at Kenda's R&D Center in Green, Ohio. That brings the number of tires designed by Kenda in the U.S. for the U.S. market to four; the other two are the Vezda UHP A/S KR400 and Klever H/T2 KR600.
1. Vezda Touring A/S KR205. The premium grand touring tire replaces Kenda's six-year-old KR30. According to Kenda engineers, the tire is equal to or superior to the KR30 in steering and dry handling; dry braking; wet handling; wet braking; snow traction; and ride comfort, including low noise level.
Designed for touring and luxury cars, it features an optimized all-season tread molded into an asymmetric tread design engineered with Kenda's proprietary pitch sequencing to reduce noise. The tread pattern's four-groove design helps prevent hydroplaning.
The tire initially will be available in 32 sizes in the first quarter of 2018. The sizes will range from 195/65R15 91H to 255/45R19 100V. Kenda will back the tire with a 65,000-limited tread wear warranty.
During the ride-and-drive, Kenda tested the tire against the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus and the Kumho Solus TA71.
2. Klever R/T KR601. The aggressive all-terrain tire was designed for rough terrain without sacrificing the ride and comfort of an A/T tire. It features “exceptional durability,” the result of Kenda’s Triple Threat 3-Ply sidewall technology.
The Klever R/T is not only enabled for off-road conditions such as mud, sand and gravel, but also pinned for winter studs.
Kenda will initially introduce the tire in 19 R-rated LT sizes, broken out as follows:
* eight 17-inch sizes ranging from LT235/80R17 to 35x12.50R17LT;
* five 18-inch sizes ranging from LT275/70R18 to 35x12.50R18LT;
* four 20-inch sizes ranging from LT275/55R20 to 35x12.50R20LT; and
* two 22-inch sizes – 33x12.50R22LT and 35x12.50R22LT.
Both the Vezda Touring A/S and the Klever R/T will be manufactured at Kenda’s new Vietnam plant.
American Kenda Rubber Ind. Co. Ltd., which does business as Kenda USA, will showcase both tires at the SEMA Show’s Global Tire Expo from Oct. 31 through Nov. 3 in the South Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center, Booth No. 41079.