Bauer Built Inc. has acquired the commercial tire division of Allied Oil & Tire Co. effective April 1, 2019. The acquisition includes commercial tire centers in Omaha, Neb.; Kansas City and Joplin, Mo.; Wichita, Kan.; Des Moines and Sioux City, Iowa; and Sioux Falls, S.D. It also includes a Michelin Retread Technologies (MRTI) retread plant and a wheel-refinishing operation, both in Omaha.
President Tad Bauer said adding Allied's commercial division is a perfect fit for Bauer Built, and offered up three reasons why:
1. Allied was primarily a commercial tire dealer, which is the focus of Bauer Built.
2. Allied offered its customers many of the same products as Bauer Built does.
3. Geographically, the acquisition helped Bauer Built strengthen its current position in existing markets, fill some voids in its current footprint, and provided some expansion into new areas.
Bauer Built will be retaining almost 90 employees from Allied and hiring a few more. When things settle down, Bauer estimates the company will be adding approximately 100 people to its existing 500 for a total employment force of approximately 600 people.
Bauer Built, founded in 1944 by G.F. “Sam” Bauer, will be 75 years old on April 18, 2019. The original business was a bulk petroleum business, but shortly after, in January 1945, the company began selling tires and related services. With the Allied acquisition, Bauer Built now has 40 tire and service centers, eight MRTI plants, and three wheel-refinishing operations, spread across 10 Midwest states. They also continue to operate the bulk petroleum business, referred to as Bauer Built Oil, out of their headquarters in Durand, Wis.
Bauer Built was the 12th largest retreader in the U.S. according to Modern Tire Dealer's 2018 Top 100 Retreaders in the U.S. list. The company retreaded close to 1,000 truck tires a day. The addition of 230 retreaded truck tires a day, courtesy of Allied's retread plant, will move them up this year's list.
Allied, headquartered in Omaha, was founded more than 60 years ago in 1958 by Conrad Heinson. With its divestiture of the tire business, Allied Oil will focus on expansion of its lubricants business and Industrial Services Division. The name will revert back to Allied Oil & Supply Inc., with 100% ownership by the Conrad Heinson family.