BFG Rugged Terrain T/A: It looks like it sounds
The new BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A combines aggressive off-road looks combined with low rolling resistance, reduced noise and year-round traction.
Michelin North America Inc. classifies it as a hybrid light truck tire. It fills this void in the brand’s portfolio and increases the BFGoodrich brand’s light truck market coverage to 97% in the P-metric and 95% in the LT-metric categories.
“The BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A tire fits distinctly between the Long Trail T/A Tour tire, which is designed for pure on-road driving, and the All Terrain T/A KO tire, which can go as far off-road as you want," says Marcus Baffoe-Bonnie, country marketing manager for BFGoodrich tires. "The Rugged Terrain T/A tire is for drivers who want a versatile tire to go to work during the week as well as on a weekend adventure.”
Years of development went into the design of the Rugged Terrain T/A tire, with lessons learned from engineering sessions at a variety of proving grounds and tracks, hundreds of off-road races and closed testing sessions conducted with motorsports teams.
The tire's features include the following:
* a 30% improvement in wet weather performance over the Rugged Trail T/A;
* super high-tensile steel cables and stiff tread blocks, which is why the tire is backed by a 50,000-mile manufacturer’s limited tread life warranty;
* a noise reducing tread design;
* two large circumferential grooves engineered to evacuate water;
* tread-clearing elements that help the tire eject gravel and mud in light off-road environments;
* the Equal TEnsion Containment System, a proprietary brand technology "that delivers toughness for all terrains," according to Michelin.
The tire is offered in 36 sizes ranging from 15 to 20 inches in diameter, including Load Range E sizes.