10 Things To Know About Tire Retreading in the U.S.
It’s almost time to reveal Modern Tire Dealer’s latest edition of the Top Retreaders list. In that spirit, we've compiled an overview of the retreading industry from 2018, covering everything from the double-digit change in overall sales to the average cost of a casing.
The biggest takeaway: overall sales of retreads dropped 20.7% in 2018 compared to the previous year.
- Number of retreaded truck tires 14.2 million (down from 14.3 million in 2017)
- Sales (without casings) $2.3 billion (down from $2.9 billion)
- Average retread cost (without casing) $164.64 (down 20% from the 2017 average of $205.91)
- Average precure price $164.60 (down from $205.65)
- Average mold cure price $165.72 (down from $210.22)
- Average casing cost $57.46 (up slightly from $57.24 a year earlier)
- Percent of precure units 96% (up from 94%)
- Average sales margin 17% (down from 18.9% in 2017)
- Number of truck tire retread plants 644 (down 1 from the previous year)
- Number of off-the-road (OTR) tire retread plants 18 (same as 2017)
Source: MTD Facts Issue
Look for the 2019 edition of MTD's Top Retreaders list in the April issue.