RMA: Replacement passenger tire shipments are up 4.2% through August
Replacement and original equipment passenger tire shipments in the United States are up almost 2.6% through the first eight months of the year, according to the Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA).
In its August tire report, the RMA estimates 164.9 million P-metric tires were shipped domestically, compared to 160.7 million over the same period last year. Breaking that down, replacement shipments are up 4.2%, while OE shipments are down 3.9%.
Here are the RMA's estimated shipment totals through the first eight months.
* Passenger tires, replacement: 133.3 million (up 4.2%).
* Passenger tires, OE: 31.6 million (down 3.9%).
* Light truck tires, replacement: 22.2 million (up 0.3%).
* Light truck tires, OE: 3.1 million (down 10.9%).
* Medium/heavy truck tires, replacement: 10.9 million (down 5.2%).
* Medium/heavy truck tires, OE: 3.36 million (down 27.4%).
The RMA predicts a 2% year-to-year increase in the replacement passenger tire market (to 200 million units) and a 4.5% decrease in the OE passenger tire market (to 46 million units).
Replacement light truck tire shipments are projected to increase by 1.5%, while OE light truck tire shipments are expected to decrease by 12%.
Replacement and OE truck tire shipments will decrease 3.1% and 29%, respectively.