Vredestein introduces new all-season tire -- with a twist
The latest all-season tire from Vredestein Tyres North America Inc. is available to tire dealers -- and it has run-flat capability.
The new Vredestein Quatrac 3 features the following:
* an asymmetrical, non-directional tread pattern. The outermost part of the tread is designed for summer conditions. "Due to the lower air ratio and limited number of layers, the Quatrac 3 has more rubber and less air, proportionately speaking, and extremely stiff tread blocks," says the company. "This ensures optimum contact with the road surface."
The inner section of the tread has a very open tread structure with undulating grooves that provide additional traction in winter conditions. Self-cleaning properties help prevent snow from attaching itself to the tread.
* efficient water dispersion. The summer and winter sections of the Quatrac 3 are visually separated from one another by three distinct grooves centrally placed in the longitudinal direction of the tire. The design also includes lateral grooves. The combination of the two sets of grooves is responsible for the rapid dispersion of large volumes of water on a wet surface, which minimizes the risk of hyrdoplaning.
* PAC-free rubber. The new all-season rubber compound is engineered without oils containing environment-unfriendly polycyclic aromatic compounds (PACs).
* low noise production. The tire meets the latest European Union directives, part of statutory environmental standards aimed at the further reduction of noise levels produced by tires.
"The stepped longitudinal groove and the equal distribution of surface pressure are the key components of the tire responsible for reducing noise levels," says Vredestein.
* snowflake symbol. The Quatrac 3 complies with all qualifications and criteria for officially being recognized as a winter tire. (Winter tires are awarded the snowflake symbol when they successfully complete an obligatory braking test on a snow-covered surface.)
The Vredestein Quatrac 3 is available in nine V-rated sizes, including two run-flat sizes: 195/65R15, 195/60R15, 205/60R15, 205/55R16, 215/55R16 (XL), 225/55R16, 225/45R17 (XL), 195/55RF16 and 205/55RF16.
The Quatrac 3 RunFlat features an additional reinforcement (insert) in the tire's sidewall. The bead construction also has been strengthened to ensure that the tire remains firmly around the rim in the event of a loss of pressure. "The level of comfort remains high," adds the company.