Michelin unveils LTX M/S2 for light trucks, SUVs
Michelin North America Inc. (MNA) has introduced its new Michelin LTX M/S2 tire for light trucks and full-size SUVs.
The tire is the latest generation of Michelin's LTX M/S line, which was introduced in 1992 and has become one of the company's biggest sellers in its LT line of tires.
The Michelin LTX M/S2 will be targeted toward the still growing market of pickup and SUV owners in print ads, point-of-purchase materials, online and in other media as offering long-lasting value and safety in any weather, the company reports.
"The Michelin LTX M/S tire is proven in the market and we have worked hard to ensure that the next generation of this product is even better," says Rob Cunningham, light truck category manager for MNA..
New technologies in the Michelin LTX M/S2 tire include:
* 3D Active Sipes -- interlocking siping that allows the tread blocks to lock together and preserve rigidity in the blocks. Greater density of full-depth 3D Active Sipes allow 8% more biting edges than the prior generation Michelin LTX M/S and offers better snow traction, the company reports. Less bending of the tread blocks under torque results in less energy used. As a result, the LT sizes of the tire are labeled "Green X," signifying superior levels of fuel economy, the company adds.
* A new silica tread compound which allows for greater wet performance. Better water evacuation and the new silica tread compound work together to create a tire offering shorter stopping distances, seven feet shorter than the competition, says MNA.
* Michelin Comfort Control Technology -- which creates a tire with reduced vibrations and road noise.
* Advanced MaxTouch construction which creates a contact patch that evenly distributes the forces of acceleration, braking and cornering for a long-lasting tire.
* Three steel-belts that provide durability and strength to handle loads up to 13,500 pounds.
Thirty-eight P-metric and LT sizes are being introduced in 2009 and 2010, with all sizes being available by next March, says MNA. Rim diameters range from 15 to 20 inches.
The tire will carry a 70,000 mile limited warranty.