Team General Tire ready to take on the Baja 500
Team General Tire is primed and ready to take on the annual Tecate Baja 500 June 5-7, 2009. When the 41st annual race kicks off on Saturday, June 6th in Ensenada, Team GT will be fielding teams in several classes, including:
- Trophy Truck: BJ Baldwin and Bobby Baldwin, Baldwin Motorsports; Rick Johnson, Team 71 Racing; Scott Steinberger, PCI Racing and Jason and Rich Voss, Voss Motorsports
- Class 8: Ted Hunnicutt Jr., Synergy Motorsports
- Class 7s: Mike Horner and Brandt Anderson, Synergy Motorsports
- Class 6: Marc Burnett, MB Motorsports
- Class 6: Mike Childress and Robert Pickering, RSS Motorsports
- Class 9: Cisco and Pancho Bio, People’s Racing
The race will start and finish some 20 hours later in front of the Riviera Convention Center on Costero Boulevard. In between, drivers will blast through some of the toughest desert racing conditions known.
“Team GT is having a successful 2009 season, and we are confident Team GT will have success in this important race,” said Travis Roffler, director of marketing, General Tire. “The combination of the teams’ outstanding driving skills and the Grabber competition tires makes this team a force to be reckoned with out there!”
BJ Baldwin won the SCORE Trophy Truck Championship in both 2006 and 2008; Rick Johnson won Terrible 250 and third place in the 2009 General Tire Mint 400 earlier in the season ; Ted Hunnicutt took first place in Class 8 at the 2009 Mint 400; Mike Horner is a five-time Baja 500 champion; and Marc Burnett won class 6 “Ironman-style” at the 2008 Baja 1000, and he also took class 6 in the 2009 San Felipe 250.