Industry Gears Up for SEMA Show, AAPEX
SEMA Show Will Once Again Include Global Tire Expo
The automotive aftermarket will converge on Las Vegas, Nev., for the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show and Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo (AAPEX). The SEMA Show - which includes the Global Tire Expo, powered by the Tire Industry Association (TIA) - will take place Nov. 1-4 at the Las Vegas Convention Center.
In addition to the trade show floor and new product unveilings, the show will include more than 110 business professional development seminars. As of press time, there are 2,400 registered SEMA Show exhibitors.
SEMA says the combined indoor and outdoor show floor spans more than 2.2 million square feet.
Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, the event’s attendance was regularly measured at 161,000 people. (In 2021, AAPEX reported its combined attendance at 97,065 people. International travel restrictions remained in place during last year’s events.)
For the second straight year, SEMA is opening its show floor on Friday to enthusiasts who purchase tickets. Those ticketed visitors will be able to walk the show floor from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 4, only.
AAPEX will take place Nov. 1-3 inside the Venetian Expo. In addition to a trade show and training opportunities, the event will again include a fully built-out 10-bay garage to showcase and demonstrate products and new technologies.
Among the highlights of AAPEX will include a keynote address featuring two political heavy-hitters one week ahead of the mid-term election: James Carville, longtime political strategist, and Karl Rove, advisor to President George W. Bush. Their presentation is part of an opening-day, ticketed breakfast held from 6:30 a.m. to 8:45 a.m. on Nov. 1.
That same event will feature a state of the industry talk by Paul McCarthy, president and CEO of the Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association, and Bill Hanvey, president and CEO of the Auto Care Association.
TIA events in detail
TIAwill host the Global Tire Expo inside the SEMA Show and also will stage several events prior to opening day.
On Oct. 31, TIA will host a cocktail reception and its annual Tire Industry Honors Awards Ceremony at Bally’s Las Vegas Hotel & Casino. (Both events are free, but registration ahead of time is required.)
The cocktail reception begins at 5 p.m. During the awards ceremony, which begins at 6:30 p.m.,
TIA will induct four people into the Tire Industry Hall of Fame:
• The late Larry Day, former chairman and CEO of TBC Corp;
• Christine Karbowiak, retired Bridgestone Americas Inc. executive;
• The late Joe DePaolis, longtime tire dealer and former president of the National Tire Dealers & Retreaders Association, and;
• The late Robert William Thomson, inventor of the pneumatic tire. Additionally,
Redmond “Red” Clark, president of Asphalt Plus L.L.C. in Barrington, Ill., will be honored with the Ed Wagner Leadership Award.
Here’s a look at the training sessions scheduled during the Global Tire Expo — Powered by TIA/SEMA Show:
• 10 a.m.: TPMS at 10: TPMS Activation Tool and Sensor Platforms (Upper South Hall, Room 226);
• 10 a.m.: Truck Tires at 10: OSHA Compliance for Commercial Dealers (Upper South Hall, Room 227);
• 2 p.m.: Tires at 2: Successful Tire Dealers Share Their Secrets (Upper South Hall, Room 226)
• 10 a.m.: TPMS at 10: The State of TPMS Sensors (Upper South Hall, Room 226);
• 10 a.m.: Truck Tires at 10: Jacking and Lifting Safety (Upper South Hall, Room 227);
• 11:10 a.m.: TIA Press Conference; • 2 p.m.: Management at 2: How to Investigate an Accident (Upper South Hall, Room 226)