50th anniversary year celebrated at STTC
Service Tire Truck Centers Inc. will celebrate 50 years in business this June.
It was founded as Bethlehem Tire & Battery in 1955 by Walter Dealtrey Sr. as a Goodyear-only dealership selling auto tires and offering automotive services.
The name was changed in the early 1960s to Service Tire Co. as the retail business grew ouside of Bethlehem. The company expanded into the commercial tire business in 1967 when Service Tire Truck Centers (STTC) was opened with a Bandag franchise. In 1980 the car tire locations were sold to the store managers, and STTC began to expand as opportunites and needs arose.
To celebrate the 50th anniversary, STTC is hosting a customer and supplier appreciation party on June 10 which will include the Goodyear blimp, NASCAR drivers, the Bandag Bandit, live music and food. The celebration will continue the following day with an employee/family appreciation event including clowns, rides and other activities.
The company also is giving away products and/or services each month in 2005 as a way to say thank you to its customers. "It's our way of giving something back after all these years," says Walter Dealtrey Jr.
Walter Dealtrey Sr. died in 2002. The family-owned business is now lead and owned by Walter Dealtrey Jr., Ronald Bennett, Scott Bennett and Ed Betz.
Today, STTC is the one of the largest independent tire store chains with 22 locations in four states. The company also has three Bandag plants producing 800 retreads per day. It employs 530 people and has 150 service trucks to service its accounts.