Dunlop SP60 will help bring brand 'back to life'
Andy Traicoff, director of Dunlop consumer tire marketing, says the new Dunlop SP60 is "part of our drive to bring the Dunlop brand back to life in North America."
The SP60 features the following:
* a 65,000-mile limited tread wear warranty.
* wide circumferential grooves, curvalinear shoulder grooves and an optimized tread block arrangement, all part of Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.'s Traction Web technology.
* lateral grooves, multiple block edges and cross sipes -- tread elements designed using MSI (for mud, snow and ice) Technology.
* a multi-pitch tread design, which helps minimize noise.
* Dimensionally Stable Polyester ply cords that help keep the shape of the tire uniform. The more uniform the tire, the smoother the ride.
* wide, high density steel belts.
* a hard bead apex.
The tire will be positioned between Goodyear's 75,000-mile Regatta II and 50,000-mile Integrity in the mid-passenger segment. Goodyear's premium tire in the segment is the Assurance. The Kelly Navigator Gold is positioned below the Integrity.
Tire dealers will be able to order the broad-market passenger tire in 27 S-rated "very efficient" sizes beginning Jan. 31, according to Warren Croyle, marketing manager for Dunlop consumer tires in North America. "I say efficient because the 27 sizes cover 83% of the segment." The tire also will be available with serrated black sidewall or classic whitewall styling.
The SP60 is the fourth Dunlop tire to be introduced in the last three months. On Oct. 31, Goodyear rolled out the SP Sport Maxx, an ultra-high performance tire designed for luxury cars; the Direzza DZ101, a UHP tuner tire for sport compact cars; and the Grandtrek AT20 for luxury cars and cross-over SUVs.
Dunlop officials also announced the Dunlop SP50, an original equipment tire, will be introduced in late 2006.