Turn your iPhone into a dynamometer!
The new ”Light ’Em Up Dyno” app from the Bosch Group can turn iPhone and iPod touch mobile devices into portable dynamometers that can measure acceleration, G-force, and horsepower.
The key is in the built-in accelerometer -- the same sensor that changes the screen orientation and allows users to play games.
“The Bosch Light 'Em Up Dyno App requires no GPS or network connection," says Mark Wilkinson, product manager for spark plugs at Bosch. "After downloading and installing the Bosch app, users simply follow the quick setup instructions, input some basic information regarding their vehicles, and they’re ready to have some fun."
The full-version of the Bosch iPhone app allows the user to measure:
* 1/4-mile trap speed and time;
* horsepower estimates (wheel and/or estimated crank);
* elapsed time and trap speed for standard intervals (60 feet, 330 feet, 1/8 mile, 1000 feet);
* lateral G-force measurement (current and peak);
* braking G-force measurement (current and peak);
* friction circle (max Gs in 16 directions);
* timed run and skidpad graphs;
* real-time speedometer, friction circle and graphs;
* results for latest test run or any saved run; and
* comparable results between vehicles, dates, or before-and-after modifications.
The basic Bosch dyno app gives the iPhone/iPod touch the capability to time 0-60 acceleration;
publish results on Facebook, Twitter and LightEmUp.com; download promotion offers; and locate a Bosch spark plug retailer.
“After inputting the basic information, no external wires or equipment are necessary, simply slip the device into a cradle or cup holder -- or secure it to the seat -- and go," says Wilkinson. "The app’s screens are designed to turn the face of the device into what appears to be readouts from a dynamometer."
The basic Bosch Light ’Em Up Dyno app is available at no charge. This version can be upgraded to the full-featured app with a touch of a button. The cost is $4.99, but with the Light ’Em Up rebate program for Bosch spark plugs, the full-featured app is free after the rebate with the purchase of Bosch spark plugs.
Visit www.lightemup.com for a link to the app. For more information on the Bosch Group, which is comprised of Robert Bosch GmbH and its more than 300 subsidiaries and regional companies worldwide, visit www.boschusa.com.