Tire Rack compares four UHP summer tires
Tire Rack Inc. has released results of tests comparing the new Dunlop Direzza DZ102 ultra high performance summer tire to three tires in the same category.
The tires tested and a summary of Tire Rack’s findings follow:
BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 (Ultra High Performance Summer, 245/40R18 93W)
* Liked: Capable handling and very good traction, especially in the wet.
* Improve: Reduce tread noise somewhat.
* Conclusion: A sporty tire that focuses on performance.
Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport (Ultra High Performance Summer, 245/40R18 97W)
* Liked: Good ride comfort and composed handling.
* Improve: A small gain in wet traction.
* Conclusion: A solid all-around performer.
Dunlop Direzza DZ102 (Ultra High Performance Summer, 245/40R18 97W)
* Liked: Reasonable ride quality.
* Improve: More overall wet and dry traction.
*Conclusion: An ultra high performance summer option that doesn’t stand out from the crowd
Yokohama S.drive (Ultra High Performance Summer, 245/40R18 97W)
* Liked: Responsive and capable handling
* Improve: Soften the edges without giving up handling at the limit
*Conclusion: Good performance and handling that's still close to the best in class
Tests were performed on the track and on the road. Tire Rack says the BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 delivers great traction and sporty handling, especially in wet conditions. The Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport is more civilized on the road, and still delivers solid handling. The Yokohama S.drive has been around the longest of this group, and it hangs in there with good performance, but feels a little less refined than the other tires in the test. The Dunlop Direzza DZ102 rounds out the group, performing adequately, but not standing out among the crowd in any way.
Full test results can be viewed at the Tire Rack website.