Yokohama will go head-to-head at MATS
“Take the challenge.” That’s what Rick Phillips, Yokohama Tire Corporation’s director of commercial sales, will be telling fleet owners at the Mid-America Trucking Show (MATS) in Louisville, Ky., March 31-April 2.
Phillips is referring to the “101ZL SmartSolution Challenge,” a contest to taking place at MATS, that will compare Yokohama’s new premium long-haul steer tire against its competitors in head-to-head competition on the open road. The 101ZL is available in sizes 295/75R22.5, 11R22.5, 11R24.5 and 285/75R24.5.
“We’ll reveal the full details of the contest at MATS in booth 14124,” says Phillips. “Essentially we’re going to guarantee the 101ZL will have the lowest cost-per-mile over the course of a year, or we’ll double the difference back in cost-per-mile.”
Phillips said the 101ZL SmartSolution Challenge will highlight the eco-sensitive steer tire that “runs longer, and is more trouble-free and efficient than anything we’ve ever brought to the market. The 101ZL, part of our high-tech Zenvironment line, provides at least a 10% increase in overall tread life and significant resistance to irregular wear.”
The 101ZL is on the EPA’s SmartWay list of verified low rolling resistance tires. Other Yokohama SmartWay tires include the new RY407 super single wide base trailer tire, 103ZR and RY617 steer tires, RY587 trailer tire, and 703ZL and TY517MC2 drive tires. The tires meet the SmartWay program’s challenging verified low rolling resistance criteria, which includes running cooler and helping to reduce fuel consumption, cut costs and benefit the environment.
Highlights of the 101ZL include:
● Zenvironment construction, which controls casing growth and greatly reduces strain energy in the shoulder and bead areas for low rolling resistance and better fuel efficiency.
● Contact pressure equalizer sipes that optimize rib contact pressure to resist uneven wear and improve wet weather braking and handling.
● Stress equalizer ribs that increase road contact at the shoulder’s edge ideal for withstanding step-down wear.
● Serpentine grooves that add rigidity to the shoulder for greater tear resistance.
● Multiple sipes that create an ideal footprint for optimal rib edge contact pressure that helps to eliminate irregular wear.
“Fleet owners interested in taking the 101ZL SmartSolution Challenge should come to the MATS booth or contact their local Yokohama representative for full contest details,” says Phillips.