Same terrain, new KO tire
The terrain is the same but the new BFGoodrich brand All-Terrain T/A KO2 tire is different from its predecessor with tougher sidewalls, longer tread life and improved traction for off-road and highway driving.
Michelin North America Inc. says the All-Terrain T/A KO2 will appeal to light truck and SUV drivers who use their vehicles on the highway, on the worksite and in off-road conditions. The KO2 is an all-season tire that has earned the 3-Peak Mountain Snowflake designation from the Rubber Manufacturers Association.
The company says the tire is significantly improved over its predecessor in areas its research identified as important to consumers: sidewall strength, puncture resistance, traction and durability.
In comparison to the KO tire it replaces, the KO2 has:
* 20% tougher sidewalls through proprietary CoreGard technology;
* Two times the tread life on gravel;
* 15% longer tread life on asphalt;
* 10% better traction in mud; and
* 19% improved snow performance.
The KO2 will be available in more sizes than the KO. The company plans to offer 61 sizes in North America, versus the current 53 sizes. The KO2 is launching now in 12 sizes, with additional sizes to be launched in 2015.
The sizes in the phase 1 release are:
LT275/55R20 115/112s All-Terrain T/A KO2 LRD RWL
LT27565R18 123/12OR TL All Terrain T/A KO2 LRE RW
LT27560R20 110/116S TL All-Terrain T/A KO2 LRD RW
LT265/70R18 124/121R TL All-Terrain T/A KO2 LRE RW
LT285/75R16 126/123R TL All-Terrain T/A KO2 LRE RW
LT285/65R20 127/124S TL All-Terrain T/A KO2 LRE RW
LT265/65R18 122/119R TL All-Terrain T/A KO2 LRE RW
LT285/65R18 125/122R TL All-Terrain T/A KO2 LRE RW
LT245/75R16 120/116S TL All-Terrain T/A KO2 LRE RW
LT315/75T16 127/124R TL All-Terrain T/A KO2 LRE RW
LT265/75R16 123/120R TL All-Terrain T/A KO2 LRE RW
LT235/85R16 120/116S TL All-Terrain T/A KO2 LRE RW
35x12.50R18LT 123R TL All-Terrain T/A KO2 LRE RWL
LT225/75R16 115/112S TL All Terrain T/A KO2 LRE RW
The KO2 is produced in Tuscaloosa, Ala., and Ft. Wayne, Ind.
In developing the KO2, the company says BFG engineers leveraged the latest off-road racing technology to provide consumers with an advanced tire to meet a range of conditions. KO2 borrows heavily from the BFGoodrich Baja T/A KR2 tire, which was equipped on nine of the top 10 finishers in the 2014 Tecate SCORE Baja 500.
Key features of the KO2 include:
* tougher sidewalls through the use of CoreGard technology developed in the Baja T/A KR2, a thicker, extended shoulder and computer modeling to predict object paths and create a sidewall design most likely to deflect protruding objects;
* longer treadlife through a new tread design and rubber formulation that helps it last twice as long on gravel and 15% longer on asphalt than the previous tire, optimally blended tread rubber to reduce chips and tears on gravel, a new footprint shape and interlocking tread design to provide more uniform wear and special stone ejectors to push objects out of the tread to reduce drilling into the tire; and
* aggressive traction through side biter lugs in the sidewall that improve traction in mud, snow and rocks, raised bars in the shoulder to help release compacted mud for better traction in soft soil and 3-D sipes that create biting edges for better snow traction.
“The KO2 has an obvious appeal for the serious off-road enthusiast,” says Dan Newsome, US country operations manager, BFG LT tires. “It’s also expected to appeal to anyone who regularly faces challenging gravel, dirt or snow-covered roads. The KO2’s toughness, durability and traction – as well as its improved treadlife and great road manners – deliver strong benefits, whether for work, play or just to get home.”
The KO2 will be released to consumers on Nov. 1, initially in 12 sizes fitting a range of vehicles, including Ford, Chevrolet, GMC, Dodge, Toyota and Nissan pickup trucks and SU’s as well as Plus Fitments for a wide variety of vehicles.
The MSRP for the tire starts at $222.
For more information, photos and videos about the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 tire, visit www.BFGoodrichTiresKO2.com.